HOMEABOUTNEWMOMDESIGNSCONTACTINSTAGRAMFACEBOOKPINTEREST

8.19.2010

Chunky Lamb Soup


This fragrant lamp soup, full of chunky veggies & Middle Eastern spices will have your neighbors wondering what you cooking. In a good sense, of course! 
It is quite flexible in making - you can use variety of vegetables you have on hand. When I get low on groceries, and have one of every vegetable, I turn to this good "clean-out-your-fridge" kind of recipe. However, some items are a must: red bell pepper, carrot, garlic. Other items are pretty interchangeable. This time I used what I found in my fridge. You can do the the same :)
Also, you can make it as chunky as you like, just add water accordingly and dice veggies per your preference.

Chunky Lamp Soup

1 Carrot
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Italian Green Pepper
1 Light Green Zucchini
1 Yellow Zucchini
1 Med. Onion
2 Med. Potatos
1 Tomato
2 Garlic Cloves
Approx. 2 cups of lamb meat cut into small (1/2") pieces
1 tsp coriander seeds, mashed
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/4 tsp cumin seeds, mashed
2-3
Salt, lots of freshly ground pepper
Fresh herbs, my standard mix: dill+cilantro
Cooking Oil

1. Cover the bottom of a large pot with some cooking oil ( I use non-stick and start with a couple of tbsp, then add more if needed). Add onion, cook until translucent.

2. Add meat + Spices+Garlic+Salt, Pepper. Cook until meat is starts to get brown edges, around 10-15 min ( also, this is a good time to add hot flakes if you like spicy food)

3. Add veggies - you can add them all at once if you have them ready, but I usually start chopping while my meat is cooking, so I add them as I have them ready: carrots, peppers, zucchinis, etc. This way each newly added item cooks for about 2 min before I add a new roommate ;) Saute all veggies for about 10 more min, until all liquid has evaporated and they start to caramelize a little.

4. When everything looks cooked, add 6 cups of water ( less if you want the soup more chunky) and bring to a boiling point, then simmer on the lowest for 30 min.

5. Add fresh herbs when ready to serve.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment